Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number PALM 00039
Collection Libraries
Date 1876
Artist Bouly, Louis Alexis Achille
Artist Role Sculptor
Title George D. Prentice
Provenance George D. Prentice was the founder of The Louisville Daily Journal, which in 1868 merged with The Louisville Courier to become The Courier-Journal. The sculpture was carved at the insistance of two confederates, Henry Watterson and Walter N. Halderman, who were editor and president of the Courier-Journal. In 1876, the statue was originally placed in a niche above the main entrance of The Courier Journal building when it was located at 3rd and Green Streets. It was donated to the Main Library in 1912-13. (KHP Inventory)
Dimensions H-6.917 W-2.917 L-4.083 feet
Material White Carrara Marble
Medium Stone
Technique Carving
Location Louisville Free Public Library, Main Branch, 301 York Street