|Catalog Number||PALM 00011|
The fountain consists of three parts: a circular fourteen-foot-wide basin of granite with four bronze dog heads on its outer walls which act as fountains, spewing water from their mouths into small troughs underneath. From this basin, a carved granite pedestal emerges on top of which is a bronze figure of the Greek god Pan sculpted by Enid Yandell. Pan is depicted with a human upper body and a goat's feet and horns, dancing and holding a pipe in his right hand. He is standing in the midst of some vegetation, also in bronze, which includes ferns and cattails, one of which he holds in his left hand hand. Four bronze turtles emerge from this vegetation, each emitting an arc of water from its mouth into the basin below.
For more information see, The Encyclopedia of Louisville, pp. 393-4, and Donna Wiseman, "The Story of Hogan's Fountain," unpublished paper, 1981, University of Louisville Records and Archives.
|Provenance||Financed by Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Hogan of Achorage. Mrs. Hogan actively participated in the choice of subject matter. Proposed in 1903 as a drinking fountain for dogs and horses to be located in the Eastern part of Louisville and unveiled August 31, 1905 (Encyclopedia of Louisville, p. 393.)|
|Dimensions||H-5.5 W-3.333 L-14 feet|